Friday 15 July 2011

The trouble with crumble

Oh dear! I guess it had to happen. My resolve has been crumbling and has been swallowed up by a sudden obsession with puddings - with custard!


A few days ago I was basking in self-approval at how I'd managed to stick to the diet and exercise agenda and today I'm hovering near the fridge and picking at bits and pieces. I am not impressed with myself.
So rather than going to get yet another tasty morsel I am going to write about why this has happened and how I'm going to turn it around. (This is a bit like a stream of consiousness as I have no idea what's going to come out here!)
Now I could blame my young student friend who greeted us on our return from cycling the Tarka trail with a dish of steaming fruit crumble, which I haven't had since last winter. Of course I had some, who wouldn't when you've covered hundreds of miles on by bike and car - well, hundreds of miles by car and 65 by bike, but we'll gloss over that smoothly, like creamy custard over a crispy crumbly topping...
I think the problem started with knowing I'm not going to lose quite as much weight as I'd hoped before my hols next week. I'm really delighted with what I have lost and have been wearing some different clothes because I feel good in them, but I've stayed about the same weight now for around a month or more.
I have tried upping the exercise and taking more care with what I eat, but clearly not carefully enough.
The last couple of weeks have been really busy and I don't feel I've given myself enough time to do the things that relax me and make me feel good - which includes the hour a day for some form of exercise. I have been swimming, cycling,to the gym and even some tennis, but it has been rushed and not each day. It's just life I know. At the same time I've had some celebrations and meals out - including a great celebration of Bastille night in Cafe Rouge with some old friends.


No crumble but a wonderful blue cheese salad starter followed by bouillabaisse. mmmmm
So I can't really expect to have lost much weight.
But today I felt stressed, tired and had a sore throat. Work after a late night is difficult at the best of times but today I was meant to do something amazing to do with sustainability and I felt distinctly uninspired about it - it just seemed one thing too much to take on. Add to that a staff room full of cakes and goodies and you would be right if you suspected I succumbed. Yes, dear reader, I partook of chocolate cornflake bites, flapjack bites, peanuts (salted and honey coated) and a cadbury's hazelnut chocolate...
Then I hit the fridge when I got home - not too badly I guess if I think what I've had, but I'm feeling a little sorry for myself with another sore throat and feel the fates are against me... I don't wan't to go on my hols feeling ill...
So what can I do?
1. Drink copius amounts of lemon and ginger tea - I love it so that's no problem.
2. Have a sleep - sort of did that after work until my daughter woke me up
3. Plan out some tasty, yet slimming meals for the weekend! - Maybe devise a recipe for red fruit crumble and custard sans calories.
4. Go shopping for holiday stuff - (this is making me feel decidedly more cheerful!)
5. Go out for a long cycle. I have no more commitments today I think - but it's quite windy... guess that will help work off those extra nibbles!
6. Clean the house. (Ha, that's a laugh - done enough of that this week so that's a no!!!)
Enough.
Now I feel a bit better and maybe I'll keep out of the kitchen for a few hours.
I wish everyone out there a great weekend and hope you get your 'me' time. You're worth it...they could use that on an ad I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment