Thursday 27 December 2012

A slight misjudgement of calories...

I am in the middle of festive feasting time - and packing plenty of it in.  Expansion has definitely taken place sadly.  This was not really the plan as you might have guessed.

I'm not saying I wasn't planning to enjoy Christmas eating and drinking, rather that I expected it to be a time of treats, mixed in with healthy food and seasonal exercises - dancing to my Christmas spotify list, cycling along the seafront on crisp, bright mornings or even swimming a few lengths at the pool in my new, more streamlined swimsuit.

However, that more streamlined swimsuit is still packed away - unworn, together with my favourite little black dress.  This is because the month leading up to Christmas was filled with too much work, fatigue, shopping, colds and general stress - and very little exercise.  I could almost see myself ballooning and by the time Christmas Eve arrived I knew that I was gaining rather than losing the pounds.

Strangely, despite the Christmas fare  bulging out of cupboards and fridges all around the house I was confident I wouldn't overdo it.  After all, I had bought loads of fruit and veg and some yummy low calorie puddings.  I'm not one for sweet things like Christmas cake or Christmas pudding - I prefer jelly for desert - so chances of overdosing on calories seemed less likely.  I'd even bought an alternative to the oh so filling Christmas pudding - but that's where the trouble started...


I collected a beautiful raspberry panacotta for 10 from M & S on Christmas Eve, planning, of course, to share it with my family.  But so far no one else has tucked in.  I have to say it has come as a huge shock to discover that each portion of this delicious pud contains  over 1400 calories.  That's a day's allowance on a diet...  How can this be with a desert that with fruit and jelly?  I guess I just ignored that rather nice creamy base. 

Still, I suspect that if I do get through this whole panacotta without help from family or friends I may find I no longer crave it... well, maybe!





No comments:

Post a Comment