Sunday 25 September 2011

The ups and downs of cycling in Sussex



As Dave was doing his flight sim show at Shoreham airport I decided to cycle over and show my support.  (It had turned out to be a bit of a family affair with James doing some filming there and Charli helping out too.
I cycled just over 31 km which took about 2 and a quarter hours.  The first and the last bit were the worst - a long slog up the very steep Tongdean lane in Withdean to start with and again, climbing Tongdean lane at the end to get home.  I know those are the very bits that help burn the fat, but I wish there was an easier way - especially at the end of the ride... The rest of the cycle was fab.
 Most of it was along the sea front, including the port road and lock in Shoreham harbour.
 Can anyone explain why bikes are not allowed on the prom here in Brighton and Hove?  I mean, bikes tootling along and looking out for other users, not those in a hurry - who should be on the road of course.  The prom must be about 20 m wide along here. 

Anyway, I felt pretty pleased with myself.  But I did possibly cancel out the positives with just one little negative... When I arrived at the airport Charli was starving and the airport cafe had closed - having run out of food!!!!  So I drove to McDonalds to get her a burger - and found myself eating one too - how did that happen:)
Still it was a good cycle and I'll do it again some day soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment